Thursday, February 20, 2014

Writer's Block: Six Ways to Overcome It

The one thing every writer dreads. Writer's block. That imaginary block in your brain that blocks off all your ideas.
I've read lots of posts about overcoming writer's block. None of them seemed to help much. I've found some of my own ways to overcome it or avoid it. So read on!

1. Motivation: My secret trick for when you are writing and you've hit a block is... CHOCOLATE. Yep. I decide that if I write one chapter, I get one piece of chocolate. That helps me think through the writer's block.

2. Avoid: I've found it hard to think of anything to write after you've been thinking about other things too long. For me, that would be math. So avoid math or anything that hurts your brain before writing.

3. Pinterest: I love Pinterest for inspiring writing pictures! It helps me to visualize my characters and sometimes I find an interesting scene that gives me extra inspiration. One of my favorite story inspiration pinners is Brenna H. She has over 150 boards of inspiring pictures and quotes to use! Also, you can follow me on Pinterest: Mercy Schwisow.

4. Music: Listen to songs that you love and think of ways that you can apply them to your characters. I've listened to songs and I've thought of brilliant things to add to my plot and my characters!

5. Watch: Movies and TV shows are great ways to get more inspiration. Watch movies that have elements similar to those in your story. I've gotten many good plot ideas from movies.

6. Read: And if all else fails, read! Reading a good book is a good way to relax and let your creative juices flow. I have to admit, most of my story ideas are from other books.

How do you break through writer's block? I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment