Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Who Exactly is My Character?

We all go through the time when we don't know who exactly our characters are. Are they quiet? Funny? Considerate? Reserved? Loud? It's important to know as much as you can about your character. 

Lately, I have been taking personality tests for most of my characters. I use the Human Metrics Jung Typology test. The questions make you really think about who exactly your character is. Sometimes the result I got for my character doesn't seem quite right. And other times it fits them perfectly. 

I highly recommend doing the test for your characters. I feel like I get an inside look into their heads and walk in their shoes. 

My friend, Bridget, and I are writing a book together and we spent probably half an hour taking the personality quizzes for the characters separately. (Because we live about 2,000 miles apart!) We got different results for each of the characters and we found descriptions that applied to the character in question and decided which personality fit them the best. We still have one character that we still aren't quite sure about, but we will probably figure out more about her personality the more we write her! 

I hope this post was helpful to all writers out there! And if anyone is interested in Bridget and I's book, here is the Pinterest inspiration board for it: Storyboard: Found

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Mercy, I love, love, love your new blog layout! Absolutely gorgeous. Love this post too.
    Thanks so much for the mention! We'll have to do some more writing soon. :)

    ReplyDelete